Bibliography: The Art of Gary John Gresl
- 1984 Wisconsin Biennial catalog, Madison Art Center, May 1984
- 1985 Men and Women in the Arts catalog. West Bend Gallery of Fine
Art, April 1985
- 1987 The Milwaukee Journal, "Energy is His Medium", James Auer
art critic, March 15
- 1987 Rahr-West Art Museum catalog, "Four Artists, New Directions,
Richard Quick, Director, April 1987
- 1987 Rahr-West Newsletter, April-May-June 1987
- 1987 "Sexuality - The Museum of Sexuality" catalog, Taffnie Bogart
and Sandra Gruel Directors, Theatre X, Milwaukee, June 1987
- 1987 Wisconsin Artists Biennial catalog, UW Milwaukee Fine Art Museum
- 1987 Wisconsin Triennial catalog, Madison Art Center
- 1987 Wisconsin State Journal,"Wisconsin's Diverse Art", Russell
Stamets, Thursday, September 24, 1987
- 1987 11th Annual Exhibition catalog, Alice and Arthur Baer Art
Competition, Beverly Art Center, Chicago, Nov. 1987
- 1988 The Milwaukee Journal,"Gresl Art Bristles with Bales,
Skulls", James Auer art critic, Feb. 7, 1988
- 1988 The Shepherd Express,"Gary John Gresl and His Bicameral
'Split Brain Series'", Jeff Worman, Jan 22, 1988
- 1988 Art Muscle, Sept 15/Nov 15, "1988 Juried Membership Show,
- 1988 The Milwaukee Sentinel, "Shows Local Sampling Good", Frank
Lewis art critic, Sept. 2, 1988
- 1989 The Capital Times, "Artful Expressions", Kevin Lynch,
Dec. 8, 1989
- 1989 "The Chicago Art Review", Les Krantz et al, American References
- 1990 Art Muscle, "Action Reaction", Gregory Conniff, Jan/Mar
- 1990 "What Was...Is" catalog. An exhibit by the City of Milwaukee
Dept. of Public Works, Reuss Federal Building and the Fire Station Gallery,
Constance Lindholm et al, Jan/Feb 1990
- 1990 Interview for "Outdoor Wisconsin" segment. Public TV Channels
10&36, WMVS/WMVT, Thursday, 3/22/90 and 3/24/90, relating to "What Was.
- 1990 The Milwaukee Journal, "Obsession", James Auer, Jan. 21
- 1992 "Where the Waters Meet" video for cable access, Christina Zadowski
and Mark Mars, available from the Milwaukee Public Library
- 1998 Wisconsin Painters & Sculptors juried exhibition catalog, Sesquicentennial
Celebration at Villa Terrace and Allis Art Museum
- 1998 The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, "State Artists' Exhibit
Like a Throwback to Another Era", James Auer, Sunday, Dec 27, 1998
- 1999 Wisconsin Artists Biennial catalog, Haggerty Museum
- 1999 Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, "Artists Biennial Lives in
Gutsy, Eclectic Display," James Auer, Wed. Nov. 17, 1999
- 2000 Interview by Marj Petroff, WUWM Public Radio, "Local Visual Artists,"
aired August 30, 2000
- 2000 Photo and listing in "Unconventional Wisconsin" gallery guide,
Carlsten Fine Art Gallery, University of Wisconsin - Stevens Point
- 2000 James Auer, "State arts group celebrates 100 years of colorful
history", page 2E, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Wednesday, November
- 2000, "Art in Wisconsin", Vol VIII, No. 6, "Centennial Exhibition",
- 2001 James Auer, "His curious curios tell mythical tales", page 2E,
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Wednesday, February 7
- 2001, Catalog of the Wisconsin Artists Biennial, November 2001, Rahr-Wst
Museum, Manitowoc, WI
- 2001, Catalog of the 25th Annual Alice & Arthur Baer Art Competition
and Exhibition, November 2001, Beverly Art Center, Chicago, IL
- 2001, "Wisconsin Art Revealed", Herald Times Reporter, Sunday, Nov.
18 2001, Life & Style section, page C1, Manitowoc County, Suzanne Weiss
- Nov. 2001, completion of a video production by Peg Haubert, owner
of Media Gratification, titled "The Secret Music of Earthly Things",
Sculpture by Gary John Gresl. For
more information, click here.
- January 25, 2002, 9:00 AM, Radio interview, WGTD, with radio host
Greg Berg and Curator of the Anderson Art Center, Candace Hoffman.
- Milwaukee City Lifestyle Magazine, June 2002, "Stationed to be
Creative", Pg. 45, story by John Jansen
- Art Calendar, May 2002, Contributed article titled "Opinion II,
Confronting the Jury Process"
- "Art in Wisconsin", Summer 2002, Vol. X, No. 4, Cover Artist
- Television interview for cable access arts program, Channel 14, Plymouth,
WI area, regarding personal sculpture and philosophy, arts activism,
Wisconsin Painters & Sculptors, and production of "artscene",
Milwaukee area Visual Art Venue brochure. Program called "Gallery
Works", with interview and production by Kitty Lynne Klich. -10/16/02
- Here Where We Are Standing, Dinosaurs
Did Dance by Kevin Cole, in Dialogue,
Sept. - Oct, 2002
- Gallery Guide to Unconventionl Wisconsin Exhibit, November 2 - November
29, 2002, Edna Carlsten Art Gallery, UW Steven's Point.
- Uses a whole lot of everything,
by Lori Lau Brown Deer Herald,, January 23, 2003
- The Scene Online: Local Artist Profile
by Tom Breuer, from The Scene, Oshkosh Fox River Valley area.
- Gallery Guide, Walker's Point Center for the Arts, text by Michael
Flanagan, April 11-May 24, 2003.
- Sculptures: Dan McGuire, Gary John
Gresl, Walkers Point Center for the Arts By James Auer, Milwaukee
Journal Sentinel, Wednesday, May 21, 2003
- "The Art of Found Objects", Suzanne Weiss, Sunday, April
4, 2004, Herald Times Reporter, Page C1 and C2.
- Various exhibition other guides including the Kohler 8 Counties Triennial
- "Riverwest Currents" newspaper, Milwaukee, Vol. 4 Issue
12, December 2005
- "Bay View Compass" newspaper, Milwaukee, Vol. 2, Issue 12,
- "The Art of Diversity", by Bill Robbins, Kenosha News, Nov.
17,06, pg 17.
- Wausau Daily Herald, August 17th, 2006
Posted August 17, 2006
CVA exhibit features sculpture and collage
- Wausau City Pages, by Amy Ryan
September 12-21, 2006
He Said, She Said
The sexes work together to find meaning in art.
- MKE ONLINE, NORTHERN EXPOSURE, by Whitney Taylor, AUG. 17, 2006
- SUSCEPTIBLE TO IMAGES, Milwaukee online arts publication, Monday,
August Issue 28, 06 Review of the "Up North, Imaging Northwoods
Culture and Mythology" review.
- SUSCEPTIBLE TO IMAGES, September online issue, 2006
Wisconsin Painters and Sculptors Southeast Chapter Exhibit.
- SUSCEPTIBLE TO IMAGES, Mon Oct 30 - Wed Nov 29, 2006 online issue,
Milwaukee International Art Fair report.
- 2007, MKEonline, week of January 22nd, Gallery Night slideshow
- SUCEPTIBLE TO IMAGES, Milwaukee online art review, review Graeme
Assistant Director, West Bend Art Museum, published 1/17/07
- Gallery Night Picks, by Mary Louise Schumacher, Milwaukee Journal
Sentinel, Wednesday, January 17, 2007
- Bibliography, "Up North Comes Downtown", art review by
Jane Neal, City Pages magazine, Wausau Wisconsin weekly, pg. 14.
- Susceptible to Images online publication at susceptibletoimages.com
, Wed. May 2nd,
- Catalog of the Wisconsin Triennial, Madison Museum of Contemporary
Art, May 4th, 2007
- Sheboygan Press, Weekend Section, May 3rd, 2007
- "Rooms with a view", Isthmus Newspaper, Madison, The Wisconsin
Triennial benefits from the new MMoCA, Jennifer A. Smith, Thursday
- Art City, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Mary Louise Schumacher online
blog, "Best Art in the State", Tuesday, May 29, 2007.
- Museum of Wisconsin Art, 2006 Annual Report, Pg. 7
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Nov. 12, 2007, "5 Men, 2 Women Win
Nohl Fellowships, Mary Louise Schumacher
- MKE, online publication, "Northern exposure. Car trips and canoe
excursions ... how 'up north' moments inspire art" By Whitney
TaylorPosted: Aug. 17, 2006
- Featured article, Susceptible to Images online publication, link